Monday, August 24, 2009

Notan Leaves


I needed a summer project to keep my hands busy while watching the monsoon rains, unfortunately we did not have a long monsoon season in the desert this year but I finally finished this fabric study. Notan is a principle of the balance between light and dark, and I decided that viney leaves might make an interesting piece.
I rusted the light fabric using muslin in an old rusted coffee can and lots of vinegar! Although I washed the muslin well, rusted fabric often continues to disintegrate which I hope leaves some interesting holes in the process of deconstruction.
The leaves were drawn free-hand on freezer paper and I hand-appliqued each block separately.
For now, the scroll will hang against a wall but I backed it with scrim so it can free hang with light passing through the piece.
The rusted fabric was difficult to hand applique as there were metal "bits" embedded in the fabric, I went through a lot of needles!
This is a detail of two of the blocks:


1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful. Would love to see your work in person some day.

    ReplyDelete